Some of you may have thought I've forgotten (and those of you who are really paying attention will notice the given "announcement" is now missing) our man, Thomas E. Hulme, but I have not. I've been working semi-steadily at getting a collective and concise--relatively--commentary/interpretation done on the six works we've got here. But I need help. There are a couple quotations that are still giving me trouble, and so--
I AM SOLICITING YOUR HELP.
It is certainly within Hulme's evident style to mask his full intentions, and some of his lines do a more thorough job than others, which beggars the question (which question is bolstered by the fact that there are only six pieces in the first place), Did he write these poems for others or just himself (or, only slightly better, for self and maybe one or more friends, which really, being insular, is the same thing)? If the former, then we are intended to get something from them, making some connection within the poem, ourselves, or between the two; and for that to effectively happen, the reader must have the capacity to make sense of AT LEAST MOST of the words and phrases. Well, I'm not satisfied with MOST, I want ALL, dangit! If the latter--that he wrote it all just for himself--then it's all wide open, and by "understanding" (and what does that even mean, anyway, when it comes to art of any kind) the ideas and connections, we're getting a fairly candid peek into this man's head.
So I'm putting the ball in your court. I've got probably 85% of the stuff figured out in these six poems. The remaining 15%, well, like I said before--
Here they are:
vibration, the feigned ecstasy of an arrested im-
Beauty is the marking-time, the stationary
pulse unable to reach its natural end.
Keywords of interest: "marking-time," "feigned ecstacy," "natural end" --all ambiguous!
loveliness that is her own eunuch
the final river
As any peeping Turk to the Bosphorous.
I know what a eunuch is, of course, but how can one be "her own?" As far as the "final river" is concerned, it seems to indicate either the final river in paradise or the final river in the inferno, both of which, if I remember correctly, has four. Which eternal location; which river therein? Or is it something else, because it also indicates one river in particular: the Bosphorous. Why? Is it the final river, or a river among them? And why "peeping turks?" I don't know.
What do you think?