* NOTICE: Mr. Center's Wall is on indefinite hiatus. Got something to say about it? Click HERE and type.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Jane Eyre XXIV -- chapter 24: A PLANE JANE

  1. Such is the tone of this book that I am quite frequently reminded of EA Poe.  "I shall not be your Jane Eyre any longer, but an ape in a harlequin's jacket" I must say reminds me of Poe "Hop-Frog," though here, likely, is the least similar comparison between the two authors.  More, again, I think the recollection calls stronger attention to the issue of tone than any issue of conflict.
  2. It seems that perhaps this, well, tirade of Mr.R's at the head of the chapter brings to the surface a distinct, and perhaps jarring, difference between the two lovers.  What is it?
  3. Mr.R asks, "What do you anticipate of me?" and Jane's reply is bleak!  If she's right, what is her evidence, more than that of storybooks; if she is wrong, why is she perhaps naturally prone to such a misjudgment?
  4. Mr.R pleads his case and Jane asks, "Had you ever experience of such a character, sir?  Did you ever love such an one?"  //  Mr.R: “I love it now.”  //  Jane: “But before me: if I, indeed, in any respect come up to your difficult standard?” Is this not a question impossible to answer?  Why or why not?  Is she justified in asking it?
  5. What do Hercules and Samson have to do with any of this?
  6. What is the real argument going on here?  Why does Jane not want the jewels, and why is Mr.R so bent on receiving them to her?
  7. And here it is!  Soon after reference to a biblical king comes, "but for God's sake, don't desire a useless burden! Don't long for poison—don't turn out a downright Eve on my hands!"  Is she an Eve?  (Okay, I know that this is actually a pretty huge question.  Simplify.)
  8. This, I think, is my new favorite line: "My principles were never trained, Jane; they may have grown a little awry for want of attention."
  9. It is a hard thing for those of this current American culture to understand (and very little do I) the weight carried by "station" in Jane-Eyre period England.  What is Jane's station compared to Mr.R's, and what are the consequences both--NOT JUST MR. ROCHESTER--are accepting by marrying?
  10. Is there yet disbelief within Jane that the marriage will happen?
  11. All that glitters is not gold: HERE.
  12. Of course, if Jane becomes a Rochester and inherits permanent residence at Thornfield, is she not bound to discover the mystery of the third floor, Mrs. Poole, and Mr. Mason?
  13. brat and bairn
  14. And as this chapter has produced my favorite line, so has it lent my favorite scene: the discussion of the moon and faeries between Mr.R and Adele.  Fantastic!
  15. "I could not, in those days, see God for His creature: of whom I had made an idol."

3 comments:

  1. 1. This is one that I haven't read, so maybe tonight I'll take a look at it.
    2. Mr. Rochester still doesn't truly view Jane as his equal. He paternalistically thinks that he can MAKE her his equal through his extravagant charity. Jane accepts that she's not his equal in rank, but she is not bothered by this because she thinks that he is his equal in more important ways.
    3. I think that she knows that there's no way that she can possibly meet his ridiculously high expectations. It's turning into a bit of an Aron-Abra situation.
    4. I am starting to think that Rochester had some relationship with Grace Poole. We know that they are about the same age, and we know that there are veiled areas that he does not want to discuss. This question he doesn't really answer, and then there's the moment where he's terrified that she's going to ask a certain question. He's clearly hiding something, and we know that something is up with Grace. I just keep expecting some hidden tragic love-story at the bottom of this.
    5. Well they're both very strong characters obviously who have shocking falls. Maybe Jane sees herself as that apparent conqueror (to use Rochester's word), who will at some point come crashing down. I really don't know, though.
    6. I think that it goes back to my answer in #2.
    7. I think that she is, but I keep getting the feeling that Rochester is more of the devil than Adam, based upon some of the words that Bronte has used around him and some of the images that she has conjured up. I think that the line that use in question 15 really suggests this again.
    10. Yes, I think so, and there's a lot of disbelief within me still.
    12. Yes, but Rochester is hoping not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3. I think she manages to get the upper hand here; I wonder how/if that will change as she likely expects.
    4. Or something. Angie says we'll be finding out VERY soon.
    5. Those shocking falls worry me. I like Rochester.

    I really enjoyed this chapter. Maybe it was the relative peace and quiet in which I was able to read it, but, honestly, this has been the chapter that has really, finally drawn me in. I eager--for the first time, actually/sadly--to read the next chapter tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read "Hop-Frog" today. I believe that we actually read it in your class now that I took a 2nd look at it. I just didn't connect it at first because I was expecting a frog based on the title. What Jane says is actually the opposite of what happens there, though, although it may actually be closer to the measure of the man. That is just a really horrible (in content) story, although I suppose most of Poe's are.

    ReplyDelete

Be sure to subscribe to the thread to receive discussion updates.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...